-12 medium prawns
-4 ripe, juicy tomatoes, finely chopped
-1 red onion, finely chopped
-some hot chilli pepper, according to preferance
-2 spring onions, sliced (optional)
-2 cloves of garlic, chopped
-60ml Greek drink Ouzo (1/4 of a cup)
-2 tbsps fresh dill or parsley, chopped
-200-250g feta cheese conventional, crumbled or cubed (8 oz.)
–salt and freshly ground pepper
-a pinch of sweet paprika (optional)
1. To prepare this Greek shrimp saganaki recipe start by peeling and cleaning the shrimps.
2. Continue preparing the sauce. To prepare the sauce for this shrimp saganaki recipe, dice the fresh tomatoes in small cubes and let them strain in a colander, so that no excess water is added to the sauce.
3. Beginning with the sauce for the shrimp saganaki, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, add the chopped onion and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in the chopped garlic, chilli peppers and season with salt and and pepper. Sauté all the ingredients together for 1 more minute. Add the chopped tomatoes, cover with the lid, bring to the boil and let simmer for approx. 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens a little bit.
4. In the meantime sauté the shrimps for this shrimp saganaki recipe. Season the shrimps with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add 3-4 tbsps olive oil. Add the shrimps, sauté for 1 minute on each side and deglaze with the ouzo.
5. Pour the sauce in the saucepan along with the shrimps and stir. Top the shrimp saganaki with the crumbled or cubed feta cheese, place the lid on and cook for 3-4 more minutes, until the feta slightly melts.
6. Garnish the shrimp saganaki with chopped parsley or dill and serve while still hot. Enjoy this traditional Greek shrimp saganaki recipe with a cold glass of ouzo!